Captain Pegleg Table — start-to-finish

I’m finally back on my blog :) This past month+ has been a rough one for my health but I’m hopefully on a road to recovery. A little while back I was commissioned to design and build a table for a nice lady in La Jolla. I was originally going to make a dining table sized version of my Air table, but it wasn’t as functional as we liked, so after some time drawing up different concepts, I came up with this new table design.

Image

Once I figured out all the scaled measurements of the top and legs, I worked on the leg angle. This showed to be quite challenging and time consuming. You want to maximize leg room and not create a trip hazard. I finally came up with a compound angle that works well on two axis.

cpt .5

On to making a jig for the legs. The steel portion of the legs is solid 5/8″ flat bar, so I needed to make sure I would keep a true angle while welding.

cpt1

Jigs made. I had to adjust the angle a bit to ensure it was equal on both axis. Ready to cut the steel and weld everything together

cpt4

The other half of the legs are walnut. I wanted them to sleeve over the steel with equal dimension of walnut on each side, so I planed the walnut down to 5/8″ . I then drilled the holes for the hardware and glued and clamped them over night. After some sanding, they were all ready to do.

cpt2

I wanted to add a detail to the top of the table that would complement the legs, so I chose a heave duty flush bolt.  It screws through to the bottom of the table to hold the legs, and on the legs, it fastens the wood to the steel.

cpt4.3

I made a trip to the hardwood store to find the best lookkng 6/4 walnut and after three places, I found the best pieces. After ripping, joining, gluing and clamping, the piece was ready to sand for a bit. I sand from 40 grit up to 400.

cpt4.5 cpt3

The next step was drilling the holes for the legs. This was a little stressful doing over the finished top, but the drill guide makes it go pretty smoothly. The flush botl detail on top definitely adds considerable time to the piece but it was well worth it.

cpt6

Now for the fun part. I went with a tung oil for this piece called Waterlox and it worked great. The oil is a much more time consuming process than lacquer, but the richness of color you get from this oil is well worth the time. After 8 coats, I was able to achieve a great seal while still having the low sheen finish that I prefer..

bob

After some finishing touches, it was all done and ready to be photographed by my friend Bob. boblajes.com
pegleg-2

Wood has a tendency to move, so I decided to add a steel support along the bottom to ensure the top wouldn’t move with weather.

Peg2

Peg3

Advertisements

About theprojectmodern

love working on modern projects
This entry was posted in Furniture, Work Process and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s